Saturday, February 21, 2009

in the realm of the dragon- sri lanka update2


My friends, my family.
I cannot begin to speculate where the week has gone. Just seven days ago I was writing to you, having just been in Sri Lanka for a couple days. Now, with a week gone by, only a few days remain in my stay here. God has been gracious to us as we've traveled from church to church through hill country and then on to Batticaloa on the east coast, where we have been for the last four days. Thank you for your ongoing prayers. We have enjoyed safe and expedient travel, even through army occupied areas that I described in a recent talk as 'the realm of a dragon', complete with sacked buildings, nearly impassible roads, army arrogance, empty places of worship and desolation. We have felt the strength and protection afforded us by Northview prayer cover.

Before I go any further, I need to share with you what a blessing it has been to hear of Northview's ongoing love and support of our friends the Dynna's. I received news of Glenn's accident on Sunday morning here (Saturday night in Regina) in a phone call with Vonda. We have been praying regularly for Glenn , Donna, the family and the business since receiving word. I am so grateful to Pastor Belinda, Jaylynne and others, not only for keeping me posted through email as to how to continue to pray, but also for coordinating some systematic support for our dear friends. I have shared with the team here how proud I am of our church for binding together to love and support our friends. Know that I join you in praying for miraculous healing, hope, comfort and peace every single time the Holy Spirit brings the Dynna family to mind, as well as systematically at specific times daily. I also pray thanksgiving for a church family that serves its own as well as others. You are a blessing.

So this week we concluded our pastor and church meetings- meeting with 12 pastors in 6 churches over 5 days. The traveling through hill country by van was exhausting, but God sustained us and has done much to continue to foster church unity within the movement here in Sri Lanka . Pastor Jayamani has been doing an outstanding job as superintendent, and has been instrumental in bringing strength and identity to the movement here. Please continue to pray that the fellowship of the churches will continue to grow stronger and more unified, and will continue to bring God glory as it tackles the challenges that are part of life in a civil wartorn land.

Arriving in Batticaloa late on Tuesday night, we changed gears and focus, directing our energy to the Tsunami relief project. There was a fair bit of preparation work that was required in order to turn the houses over to their recipients on Saturday night. Our project includes ten houses, the first five to be given away today (Saturday.) Nothing could have prepared me for the depth of connection that I felt with this project personally. Northview's involvement began with a series of Tsunami relief offerings that were taken up in January 2005. I travelled here to Batticaloa the following summer and then a year later Matt Larson and I returned to this area of Sri Lanka to negotiate with the government for some land for Tsunami refugee relief. To sign letters of understanding on behalf of the pastors of all the Free Methodist Churches that gave to this project was deeply moving for me. However, to be asked to officiate in the turning over of one of the homes was surreal. As I have been honoured by these involvements, so our church has been honoured because, through it all, God continues to be glorified through the faithfulness of this little church of ours.

We will leave tomorrow after I speak to the church that Pastor Guna has drawn together in the shed on the project site. We head back to Colombo to lead a theology class for the pastors here. Please join me in prayer for the Board of Administration meeting that takes place on February 25th. There is much business to be discussed, including plans for the summer programs that Matt and Brooke Larson are leading a team into in August. We return home on the 27th, but I have no clue when... Vonda will know. In any event, I look forward to being home with you all again next weekend.

You continue to be in my prayers daily. Thank you for including us in yours.
poitu varam
d

No comments: