Thursday, June 3, 2010

learning disabilities and revelations
















so i thought it would be a good idea to get involved in the community in a new way- i went out for regina summer stage's production of
My Fair Lady.

nobody said anything about dancing.

it didn't come up at my audition (which felt an awful lot like an american idol sing-through. there were even three people at the table) and i disclosed on my application that i had no prior dance experience or involvement. i mean, my wife won't even dance with me at weddings. just sayin...

anyway, over the course of rehearsals- 80% of which have been choreo so far- something very interesting has come to light. i think i have a learning disability.

not even joking. we will work a sequence again and again, but as soon as we move to something else, the previous work just disappears.

it's like this: imagine that within a city full of buildings you are commissioned to erect structures in a new subdivision of lots that have been cleared as part of an inner-city revitalization project. so, working together with others, you
  • lay the foundations.
  • frame in the basic forms.
  • rough in the walls, and even
  • mark where the windows are to be cut to correspond with the framing...

then you all realize it's lunchtime, so you leave the site to eat. when you return to the construction site, every one of the buildings is just as you left it except yours.

yours is gone.
not torn down.
not vandalized.
no...

it's as if no one had ever worked on your lot. from then on, every time you get together to resume construction, the other buildings progress, but you are back building from the ground up... and falling further and further behind.

weird.

i've always known i was not a particularly kinaesthetic learner, but apparently i cannot internalize sequences of movements and then reassemble them in order. who knew? ever since realizing that i didn't have any real dance moves (which is an entirely different problem) i've just avoided dance environments, period.

whatever the case. i now personally understand the frustration of many of my students in the past who struggled with math. those who
  • did all the homework
  • came in for the extra help
  • reviewed prior to exams, and even
  • took and completed extra assignments...

and still went completely blank upon sitting down to write the exam itself.

on a side note, i'm sure glad i didn't play the sanctimony baloney card back in the day as a math teacher, loading these kids up with guilt and sarcasm when what they really needed was a little grace and perhaps an adaptation or two as simple as taking a sheet with the formulas written on it into the test.

whatever. here's my point:
there are things about us that we don't really know are true until we find ourselves in the situation where these are given expression. as long as we steer clear of unknown situations, there are things about us that also remain unknown. our strength or weakness in this area; our ability or disability; our giftedness or lack thereof. these things about us are as unknown as the contexts in which they would come to realization.

this is the problem with spiritual gifts inventories and the like. life is a process of self-discovery and these instruments, although very useful in affirming our positive suspicions about ourselves regarding our natural aptitudes for service and ministry, remain silent regarding the things that we don't actually know about ourselves through previous encounters with others and God. if a person has never been in environments where he or she has received opportunity and encouragement to, say, speak in tongues or heal another person or utter a prophetic word, then these spiritual gifts continue to remain undetected just below the surface of experience.

and who knows what revelations lie just below the surface of experience?

7 comments:

Coffee dive T said...

So true, you can prepare all you want for a situation and still not react as you thought you would. I know you should never move an injured person following a car accident until you assess their injury. Yet when my daughter was screaming in fear, i scooped her into my arms and out of our van without even thinking. My maternal instinct to comfort her was the overriding action, followed by the obvious guilt of moving her.

BL4CHRIST said...

hmmm...i like your view on this.
I new all my life that I had some sort LD especially when it came to soaking up information. If I ever needed to learn something or figure out something new, I took me three times longer than anyone else. I would have to write things down three or more times before it would get through into long term memory. If I did't learn it that way my Short term was useles it can only hold about 3 items at a time...then recently I discovered something called "Chunking" still need to work on it... it's a way to trick more information in, by taking larger info you need to learn and chunking it down to the limitation of your memory banks which mine is at that 3 or 4 mark...If only I would have known this in School : (

So to make a long story short, because how I learned, I need to write things down and pull away from extra information (overload) which made me seem introverted, but if I didn't work that way I would have been distracted by noises in class, or other things going on...and when that happened good luck catching what the teacher had just said. I usually just got in trouble for not paying attention while I had my head down writing everything down that was said so It wouldn't disappear into nothingness..

HD said...

Oh Dozlaw, this is why I loved being across the hall from you and why you were the mentor I sought out in my first year. We all need a little grace.

Thank you for this - I need to tune into the blog spot a little more. :)

jollybeggar said...

ha ha- thanks for the love note, Doidge!

this blog consists mostly of bits of sunday morning talks that get stretched out into their respective tangents. it would be awesome to hear from you lots!

jollybeggar said...

i hear you on writing things down, ben. i have this little 'system' which is to keep notebooks with me all the time. recently i lost the notebook that i was working through and spent a number of days looking high and low for it and then a day or two more trying to find them in stores (apparently june is 'off-season' for little notebooks)... eventually when i was finally up and running again, i had lost nearly a week.

as for preparation and cool heads prevailing, back in 1995 daniel goleman wrote a really good book called 'Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ' which opens with some intense, real-life stories where people's reaction time to an emergency or perceived threat actually beat out their processing time... in other words, they reacted and then realized what they'd done. in one case, a guy killed his own kid by accident. goleman goes on to discuss how and why this can happen and how we need to understand the way our brain works- especially with regard to highly charged emotional situations- in order to accomplish the things we are actually going for.

http://www.danielgoleman.info/topics/emotional-intelligence/

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed your blog. I discovered rather young that I cannot memorize. Try going through school when you can't learn in that fashion. I was told I was slow, and dumb and even put in "special classes" But it wasn't until later that I found my way of coping. I am the opposite of you. For me movement is the way to remember things, that and music. My students are always surprised to find out I was a C D student in elementary, but I always tell them the rest of the story. I worked hard and learned what I needed to do and by grade 12 I graduated with a 93% average. I still struggle with spelling, in particular, and a few other things but my main goal as a teacher has become to find those kids like me who learn differently like me and let them know that maybe I have something to offer to help them learn. I have been amazed over the years how may different ways I can teach someone to dance and move. Perhaps one day I will get to teach you to dance and you will be proud to dance at the next wedding event.

Erica

jollybeggar said...

ha ha- now THAT would be fun...
but are you sure you're up to that?